Recovering ipMonitor 9 in the event of a disaster, can be accomplished with little effort and time as long as a few things have been prepared in advanced. Here's what needs to be done:
- Ensure that you can login to the ipMonitor Support Portal in order to generate an emergency license key. You can test this by logging into http://ipmsupport.solarwinds.com
- Download the latest ipMonitor 9 installation bundle from the SolarWinds Customer Portal at http://www.solarwinds.com/customerportal/
***The following article discusses the differences between the 2 portals and how to locate your account information: http://www.solarwinds.com/resources/ipmon_customer_service.pdf***
- Stop the ipMonitorSrv service.
- Copy the ipMonitor installation directory to a backup location. This is typically (c:\program files\SolarWinds\ipMonitor\).
- Start the ipMonitorSrv service.
- Login to the ipMonitor web interface.
- Click the Configuration tab.
- Click Scheduled Maintenance Tasks -> Recurring Internal Maintenance.
- Ensure that "Archive ipMonitor Configuration" is selected, and make sure a Credential is specified within the "Backup Credential" box.
- Click "Backup Now".
- Copy the backup file to the backup location.
- Copy the backed up directory and backup file to the new system.
- Delete \solarwinds\ipMonitor\config\cred\credentials.db.
- Install ipMonitor 9 on top of the copied ipMonitor directory.
- Run \ipMonitor\ipm9restore.exe and point it to the backup file.
- At this point your installation should be replicated with a trial license for 21 days and 1000 Monitors. If you need a license for more, follow one of the following depending on your situation:
- If the disaster occurs between Monday and Friday, simply contact the SolarWinds Customer Service department and they will reset your license.
- If the disaster occurs during the weekend and you have 1000 Monitors or less, simply let it run as a trial until Monday. At that point, contact the SolarWinds Customer Service department and they will reset your license.
- If the disaster occurs during the weekend and you have more than 1000 Monitors, you will need to generate an emergency license which is good for 7 days. In order to do this, login to https://ipmsupport.solarwinds.com/au...yproducts.aspx, at the bottom, select the policy ID you wish to generate it for and click "Go". It will then ask you for your installation's site code. You can copy this from the "Software Licensing" section of the ipMonitor configuration utility. This will provide you with an extension code that you can paste using the "Indirect Method" of the Licensing Wizard. Once your installation is licensed temporarily, wait for Monday and contact the SolarWinds Customer Service department and they will reset your permanent license.
The Customer Service department can be reached at 1.866.530.8040 option #1.