An alert is an automated notification that a network event has occurred, such as a server becoming unresponsive. The network event that triggers a particular alert to activate is determined by conditions set up when you configure your alert.
Since Alerts can be created for any object in your Orion network, this includes WPM Locations, Transactions and Transaction Steps. For example, you could create a custom alert that is triggered when a specific location is unavailable for more than ten minutes.
The following procedure shows how to quickly set up a simple alert, and assumes that default alert actions have already been set up. For complete documentation, see the Using Alerts in the NPM Administration Guide.
You can add further trigger actions such as sending an email, playing a sound, executing an external program or sending a GET or POST request to a web server.
- Click Settings.
- Under Alerts & Reports, click Manage Alerts.
- Click Add New Alert.
- Enter a Name and Description for the alert and click Next.
- Select the object type you want to use to trigger this alert from the I want to alert on drop-down list. For WPM purposes this will likely be Player Location, Transaction or Transaction Step.
- Set The scope of the alert. You can either apply it to all objects of this type or set up conditions to specify a set of objects.
- Create the trigger condition that must be true or false for the alert to be triggered. You can create complex triggers using multiple AND/OR/NOT conditions, if required. A simple example trigger would be:
Object type: Location
Condition: is equal to
- Click Next.
- Leave the Reset Condition as is, and click Next.
- Leave the Time of Day as is, and click Next.
- Enter the message that you want to be displayed on the Alert resource and Alert details page when this alert is triggered.
- To use variables in your message, such as Connection Status, Host Name or Transaction ID, position the cursor where you want to insert it and click Insert Variable.
- Select the type of variable you want to insert and how to group them from the drop-down lists on the left. You can display Global variables, Alert variables or those specific to Locations, Step Requests, Transactions or Transaction Steps. The alert variables specific to each WPM object are listed in the Appendix: WPM alert variables. Global Variables and variables for other Core modules are listed in similar appendices in the Orion Core Administration Guide and appropriate Administrator Guides.
- The "Select variables to insert" popup window is displayed.
- Select the variable or variables you want to insert. When you select a variable, the SWIS code is displayed.
- Click Insert Variable to insert the selected variable(s) into your message.
- Click Next.
- Leave the Reset Action as it is and click Next.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the Summary and click Submit.
The alert is now added to the Manage Alerts page.
When set up, alerts are only displayed on the web console if they are active. Active Alerts are shown on the Home > Alerts view, on the Active Alerts resource and, in the case of transaction alerts, on the Active Transaction Alerts resource.
Clicking on the Alert name will open the Active Alert Details page for this alert.
On the Home > Alerts page, each active Alert has an Acknowledge button in the Acknowledged by column. Clicking this will halt any further escalation actions for this alert, and allow you to enter any relevant information in a notes popup.
Adding alert resources to a view
To add the All Active Alerts or Active Transaction Alerts:
- Go to the View to which you want to add this resource, and click Customize Page.
- Click + by the column to which you want to add the resource.
- Check Active Alerts or Active Transaction Alerts in the Resource name column and click Add Selected Resources.
- Click Done.
- Click the Edit button for the resource you have just added.
- Change the Title and add a Subtitle, if required.
- If you want to display alerts that have been acknowledge, check the Show Acknowledge Alerts box. Otherwise, alerts will be hidden once they have been acknowledged on the Alerts page.
- Click Submit.