Custom properties are user-defined fields such as country, building, asset tag, serial number, etc., that you can define, associate with monitored network objects, and store in your SolarWinds database. After properties are added, they are available for use throughout the Orion Web Console.
For WPM, you can associate custom properties with transactions and recordings to add specific information for your specific requirements. These can then be used in the same way that other custom properties are used.
To create a custom property for WPM:
- Log on to the Orion Web Console as an administrator.
- Click Settings in the top right corner of the web console.
- Click Manage Custom Properties in the Node & Group Management grouping.
- Click Add Custom Property.
- Select Transaction or Recording, and click Next.
The dropdown list will show only the object types available for the SolarWinds Orion products you have installed.
- To create a property based on a predefined template, click the appropriate Property Template.
Property templates provide generic suggestions in the Property Name and Description fields and an appropriate custom property Format.
- Edit the Property Name and Description fields, as appropriate.
Property names must be unique for an object type. For example, you can have separate Comment properties for both Transactions and Recordings.
Property names are not case-sensitive. You cannot, for example, have properties called Comment and comment for the same object type.
- Select the Format for the property. If Text is selected, you can click Edit to specify a maximum length.
- Check the Required property box if this property must be provided for all objects.
- To restrict the values that other, non-administrative users can select for the property, check Restrict values, and enter values, as follows:
- Enter an appropriate Value.
- Click Add Value.
- Repeat until you have entered all valid property values.
- To delete a property value, click X next to the property to delete.
- Click Next.
- Click Select <Objects>, then, using one of the following methods, sort the objects to which the property can be applied:
- Select an appropriate Group by: criterion, and click the group that includes the objects to which you want to apply this property
- Use the search tool to search for the objects to which you want to apply the selected property
- Check the objects to which you want the selected custom property to apply.
Click > to expand listed objects to view available child objects.
- Click Add to add the checked objects to the Selected <Objects> list.
- In the Selected <Objects> list, check the objects to which you want the selected property to apply, and click Select <Objects>.
- For the selected objects, enter or select the required value.
- If you are editing a property with restricted values, and want to add a new property value, select Add new value from the drop-down menu, and enter the New value.
- To apply the selected property to a different group of objects, click Add more, select objects as indicated above, and click Submit.
For complete information on creating and managing Custom Properties, see Custom Properties in the Orion NPM Administrator Guide.