To migrate WHD with embedded PostgreSQL from Windows to SolarWinds Web Help Desk VA or to any Linux machine:
1. Connect to the VA/Linux machine via SSH as user admin.
Note: The default password admin. If you have changed the password, use that instead.
2. Once connected, change to the user root: sudo su -
3. Stop the WHDservice: webhelpdesk stop
4. Configure PostgreSQL to allow connection from all interfaces. Edit the postgresql.conf file.
5. Start PostgreSQL manually using the following command:
6. Switch to PostgreSQL user:su - postgres
7. In the WHD in Windows, go to Setup > General > Database.
8. Click Backup Now.
9. Stop WHD once the backup is done on the Windows machine.
10. Browse to C:\Program Files\WebHelpDesk\pgsql9\bin and run pgAdmin3.
12. In the pgAdmin III window, go to File > Add Server.
13. Add the following:
Host: [the VA/Linux machine's IP Address]
Maintenance DB: postgres
14. Expand Databases.
15. Right-click whd, select Delete/Drop from the menu and click Yes.
17. Create a new DB. Right-click Databases and select New Database.
18. Set the following:
19. Right-click whd then select Restore.
20. Search for the backup file of the PostgreSQL DB.
21. Click Restore.
22. Once the restore is done and successful, return to the SSH Window connected to the VA/Linux machine and press CTRL + C to stop PostgreSQL from running.
23. Type exit to switch back to user root.
24. Start Web Help Desk on the VA/Linux machineservice: webhelpdesk start