Virtualization Manager Getting Started Guide
Welcome to the SolarWinds Virtualization Manager (VMAN) Getting Started Guide. This guide takes you from deployment to implementation and includes the following sections:
- Production deployment. Recommended system requirements and how to deploy and integrate VMAN into an existing or standalone SolarWinds Orion environment.
- Navigate your environment. Look over the Virtualization Summary and key tools to access VM clusters, hosts, and resources.
- Manage VM resources. How to manage your VM resources using recommendations and alerts.
- Manage alerts. Best practices for creating and managing alerts.
- Customize thresholds. If alerts and recommendations trigger, you may need to review and modify thresholds globally and per VM.
- Manage reports. Best practices for creating and managing reports.
- Optimize resources. How to right-size your virtual environment and troubleshoot VM resources in your environment.
- VMAN features and benefits. Learn more about how VMAN works and integrates with the Orion Platform.
- Get connected. Access your Customer Portal and THWACK the SolarWinds community.
Ensure your long term success with SolarWinds VMAN by following the guidelines described in this guide. Depending on your workload, getting started with VMAN should take you one week or less.
Existing customers: Following the recommendations in this guide ensures your system capabilities are appropriate and your production environment is sized correctly. Minimum system requirements used during evaluation are not sufficient for a production environment. Access your licensed software from the SolarWinds Customer Portal. If you need implementation help, search our Success Center or contact our support geeks.
Read this SolarWinds Customer Support article to learn how to properly open a support case and get your case the right level of visibility.
Evaluators: If you are evaluating SolarWinds VMAN, download a free 30-day evaluation. The evaluation version of SolarWinds VMAN is a full version of the product, functional for 30 days. After the evaluation period, you can easily convert your evaluation license to a production license by obtaining and applying a license key. If you need assistance with your evaluation, search our Success Center or contact email@example.com.
VMAN and the Orion Platform
VMAN includes the Orion Platform through the Virtual Infrastructure Monitor (VIM) installation. When you deploy and install, you will:
- Deploy the VMAN appliance
- Install VIM for the full Orion Platform
- Integrate VMAN into your Orion Platform
Have an existing Orion Platform? You can integrate the VMAN appliance directly into your existing Orion Platform.
For information, see Plan for a VMAN deployment.
What is VMAN?
To learn more about VMAN, see How VMAN works.