You can integrate VMAN with the Orion Platform. If you do not have an existing Orion Platform, SolarWinds provides a standalone version called Virtual Infrastructure Monitor (VIM). These instructions walk through installing VIM and integrating the VMAN appliance.
Before you begin, make sure your computer meets the SolarWinds Virtual Infrastructure Monitor requirements.
VIM 7.1 includes Orion Platform 2016.2. If you install SAM 6.4, you also receive VIM 7.1 and do not need to install VIM 7.1.
| ||Step ||Description |
| ||Download the installation file || |
If you need the installation file VMAN-Orion-Install-2nd.exe, login to the Customer Portal and download the full version of the VMAN installation. The zip contains this file.
| ||Save and run the file on the Orion Platform server || |
- Log in as an administrator to the SolarWinds server where you want to install the SolarWinds Virtual Infrastructure Monitor.
- Save VMAN-Orion-Install-2nd.exe to the Orion Platform server, or main polling engine.
- Run the file VMAN-Orion-Install-2nd.exe.
If you are prompted to install required components, click Install, and complete the component installation.
Downloading and installing Microsoft .NET Framework may take more than 20 minutes. If a reboot is required, click Install after restarting the computer to resume the installation.
- Review the Welcome text and whether you want to send data about the application usage, and click Next.
- Select a language, and click Next.
- If another SolarWinds Orion product is already installed, enter
YES to indicate that you are aware of the recommendation to back up your existing Orion product database before installing VIM, and click Next.
- Accept the license agreement, and click Next.
- Select the installation folder, and click Next.
- Click Next on the Start Copying Files window.
- Click Finish to close the installation wizard.
- The SolarWinds Configuration Wizard is launched automatically.
| ||Complete the Configuration Wizard || |
- Click Next on the Welcome window to continue the basic configuration.
- If prompted to stop services, click Yes.
On the Database Settings dialog box, select an SQL Server and authentication method, and click Next.
Use SQL Server Authentication to ensure the SolarWinds Orion server can always access SQL Server, even when hosted remotely on a separate server.
- On the Database Settings dialog box, select a database from Use an existing database, and click Next.
- On the Database Account dialog box, create a new account or use an existing account that the polling engine and Web Console use to access the database, and click Next.
- On the Website Settings dialog box:
- Select All Unassigned unless your environment requires a specific IP address for the Orion Web Console.
Specify the Port and the Website Root Directory where the system will install the web console files.
If you specify any port other than 80, include that port in the URL used to access the Web Console.
- To use this function, click Yes - Enable automatic login using Windows Authentication.
If prompted to create a new directory or website, click Yes.
- Review the list of services to install, and click Next.
- Click Yes if prompted to disable the SNMP Trap Service and enable the SolarWinds Trap Service.
- On the Completing the Orion Configuration Wizard dialog box, click Next.
- When completed, click Finish to launch the Orion Web Console.
| ||Log in to the Web Console ||Log in to the SolarWinds Web Console as an administrator. Until you change your account, you can log in with the username, Admin without a password. |
| ||Open Virtualization Settings || |
Click Settings > All Settings > Virtualization Settings > Setup Virtualization Manager Integration.
| ||Configure connections for the VMAN appliance || |
- Enter the host name or IP address of the Virtualization Manager server.
To access the network settings for the Virtualization Manager appliance server, use a browser to navigate to
- Enter the port number on which Virtualization Manager serves web requests. The default port is 443.
- Enter the VM credentials.
- For VMware, we recommend using the VCenter credentials with your VMs managed in VCenter.
- For Hyper-V, enter the Hyper-V account credentials.
- Click Integrate.
| ||Complete integration || |
The Orion Web Console verifies access and integrates VMAN and monitored VMs. Click My Dashboard > Virtualization to access VMAN data and options.