These release notes provide additional guidance for SolarWinds Virtualization Manager v5.0.1 Service Release.
You can no longer upgrade on Windows. All versions prior to v4.0 and all Windows versions of Virtualization Manager have entered the End-Of-Life (EOL) cycle. View the SolarWinds EOL Policy online.
SolarWinds provides a migration tool to help transition from both older virtual appliances and Windows installations to Virtualization Manager v5.0.x.
As of SolarWinds Virtualization Manager v5.0, the licensing restrictions have changed. If you have exceeded your license count or trial period, you will not be able to enable schedules or upgrade. However, you will be able to edit and save data sources.
Features and Improvements
This version of SolarWinds Virtualization Manager provides the following new features and improvements:
- Some alerts display "n/a" values.128254
Open Issues in this Release
This release has the following open issues:
- Only collects from English versions of Hyper-V servers.129493
- IOPs information does not display for Hyper-V VMs and will not be calculated in the following trends: Cluster VM IOPs Usage, Cluster VM Max IOPs Usage, Cluster VM Min IOPS Usage, and EBS Monthly I/O Cost.127507
- You can only run On-Demand Reports against VMware hosts and VMs. Reports where the data source is not specified will only run against VMware.127225
- Timestamps are saved in local time and will not respect time zone changes made to the appliance.127460
- After a trend report is run, the results are only available in Report Results.126991
- Queries reports fail if the query returns no results.127030
- If a federated collector is polling a vCenter server behind a firewall, then Virtualization Manager cannot validate the data source.97876
- Idle VMs report persists after an upgrade from versions prior to v4.0 and cannot run successfully.96589
- If you use a cron job to schedule a report, you must also specify seconds.72263
- After an upgrade the previous Chargeback scripted report is not removed.65472
- To successfully migrate AD settings from v4.0, upgrade to v4.1 and then to v5.0.114681
- Scheduled Reports may not respect the time selected when the job is saved.54984
- Upgrading from v3.0.5 creates a Graph button that opens the Business Views module.86008
- Total latency data is not collected for NFS datastores.79522
- Read and write latency and IOP data sometimes cannot be seen.89411
- Search results for hosts sometimes show Running VMs values as NaN.89512
- The consumption chart widget reports incorrect value for Days Remaining after a threshold is reached.55811
- An edge case exists in the Capacity Planner where a negative capacity remaining value can incorrectly indicate that more VMs can be accommodated.47848
- Completed reports cannot be scheduled to run it again in the same day if scheduled to Run Once.61374
The following features and fixes were included in previous releases:
Virtualization Manager v5.0
- Now discover and collect information from Hyper-V hosts.70064
- Added a tool to automate migration from Windows installations to new virtual appliances.99721
- Fixed an issue where the VM last activity date is invalid.99764
- Connect to Virtualization Manager only using SSL.90981
- Fixed an issue where the LUN storage path was not correctly associated with the LUN.96203
- Support all host file volume types.90089
- The clusterCount value on details pages sometimes returns an incorrect value for datastores.69817
- Collect LUN information from Hyper-V hosts.70060
- Improved user navigation.65756
- Save a query directly in Advanced Search.77773
- New option to export charts to png files.79528
- Fixed an issue where the depletion is the same for all clusters.94047
- Increased Capacity Planning performance.105501
- Now export Trend, Alert, Facet, Top-N, Consumption, and Fitment widgets.93891
- Added the Map widget to dashboards.48292
- Revised Total Latency calculations to be the max of the two values.85753
- Fixed an issue where some clusters did not display IOPs per data store.76323
- Federated collectors now upgrade correctly during remote upgrades.89653
- If the appliance upgrade fails due to failing the license compliance, the error only reads "Failed to install updates." Check the log file for more descriptive information.65400
- Fixed an issue where the Chargeback report would not complete.109211
- Fixed an issue where some trends would not display data.109313
- Fixed an issue where alert notifications were sent incorrectly.110157
- Fixed an issue where you could not compare two VMs from the Map.96073
- Cannot select an expiration date that is in the past to a Note.48274
Virtualization Manager v4.1.3
- Current installations of Virtualization Manager cannot integrate with Storage Manger version 5.2.95761
Virtualization Manager v4.1.2
- Clusters no longer all show the same depletion date. Affected widgets: Predicted Cluster CPU Depletion, Predicted Cluster Memory Depletion, and Predicted Cluster Storage Depletion.93948
- Capacity calculation results now correctly disregard storage for clusters containing only local disks.94158
- Depletion graphs now work correcty after trying to read the bandwidth of a down network interface card.95181
- Fixed an issue that created unnecessary copies of customized widgets after restarting the hyper9 or tomcat6 services.90378
- Datastore clusterCount properties now show the correct value.69817
- Unsorted alerts in map view now show the correct timestamp.89427
- Fixed an identity-related issue with objects collected from VCenter 3.5 and earlier.94131
- Invalid widget GUIDs no longer crash the application.91557
- Fixed an issue with log files needlessly filling up with "Cookie token index now found" messages.89524
- Cluster VM Capacity trend now shows correct values.91092
- Fixed an issue that resulted in missing storage I/O values in capacity-related trends and widgets.91310
Virtualization Manager v4.1
- Increased the speed of capacity planning analysis.70459
- Fixed instance IDs displayed in Storage Paths drill down views to match those shown in the VI client.50243
- Fixed an issue that required clearing the browser cache after configuring a Federated Collector appliance.48267
- Fixed AD integration so that it no longer requires manually updating the configuration file.59022
- Fixed the duplicate CPU% and Memory% data that was appearing in the Top-N widgets.83462
- Added the ability to detect and identify Windows VMs with misaligned NTFS disk partitions.48153
- Fixed some missing CI type sorting fields in a few performance graphs.48364
- Increased the robustness of the internal identity algorithms to reduce the chance of identity confusion.48164
- Added new trend "Cluster VM Total Storage Size".79387
- Added integration with SolarWinds Storage Manager.70073
- Fixed the missing attribute names in the data export function.79501
- Moved the Dashboard selection, creation, and report commands to the top of the Dashboard page.65758
- Removed the "add to list" action of clicking items in a widget. Clicking an item now displays the details page of the clicked item.66741
- Added a map widget.66753
- Updated the visual style of the map views.66753
- Updated the visual style of the chart views.67339
- Fixed charts so that they no longer occasionally highlight the wrong line when you move the pointer over a statistic type.62090
Virtualization Manager v4.0.5
- Fixed an issue in the "VM memory allocation ratio" trend that incorrectly returned zero values.82628
- Fixed an issue that could lead to excessive memory consumption in monitoring environments containing a large number of elements. Symptoms included instability and extreme sluggishness.72237
- Increased the speed of indexing by multi-threading.79903
- Added an option to exclude sample values from the indexing to greatly speed up the indexing in monitoring environments containing a large number of data stores.79903
To enable this option:
- Log on to the vMan administration web site at https://ipaddress:5480
- Click the SolarWinds Mgmt tab.
- Click Edit Configuration.
- Select hyper9-config.xml and then click Edit.
- Add the following entry and then click Save:
<entry key="Configure.System Properties.indexAssociatedConfigSamples">false</entry>
- Click the System tab and then click Restart.
Virtualization Manager v4.0.4
- When adding new users, the Local Auth option is now set by default so that new users created with the default settings are not mistakenly assumed to be Active Directory accounts.64780
- Fixed an issue in the "Alerts for VMs with Overallocated Memory" that returned faulty recommendations.66206
- Phantom datastores no longer provide clickable links to details that do not exist.68857
- Fixed an issue that could make the SolarWinds Mgmt tab disappear from the Management UI, https://applianceIP:5480. 63126, 63156
If the tab is still missing after you upgrade, log out of the Management UI and then clear your web browser cache.
- Fixed an issue with the licensing mechanism that prevented valid appliance upgrades.65418
- NTP server support has been added to help you maintain the time synchronization requirement of Active Directory servers.68286
If the NTP server support is missing after you upgrade, log out of the Management UI and then clear your web browser cache.
To configure your NTP settings:
- Log on to the Management UI, https://applianceIP:5480
- Click the SolarWinds Mgmt tab.
- If you have upgraded and the NTP Status is blank, click Restart ntpd.
- Click Edit Configuration.
- Select ntp.conf and then click Edit.
- Trial licenses should no longer expire prematurely.72634
- Fixed an issue that sometimes caused the IO Depletion graph not to appear even if there was valid data.62263
- Results of 0 are now filtered out from Top-N widgets if it does not make sense to show them.62351
- Fixed an issue that created blank widgets when exporting a dashboard.64371
- Fixed an issue that prevented collection from some datastore IOPs.73456
- Fixed an issue that could cause a deadlock situation in the collection cycle.76535
- Fixed an issue with the Datastore IO Latency chart that was instead displaying datastore throughput.65698
- The clusterCount property now returns the correct value for datastores.66158
- Added support for IPv6 addressing. IPv6 addresses should no longer halt the collection tasks.66731
- The units for totalStorageSizeProvisioned and totalStorageSizeUsed are now correctly reported in bytes.71416
- The metrics Latency Rate and Latency Rate Peak are now Latency and Latency Peak.70051
- Cluster and Host IOP per Data Store charts now correctly show up to 8 datastore lines in the drill-down information.74373
- Fixed an issue with the cluster IOPs not being equal to the sum of its hosts' IOPs.63501
- The Net Dropped Packets Rx and Net Dropped Packets Tx graphs and drill-down views are no longer incorrectly available for virtual machines.64799
- Net Transmitted Throughput and Net Received Throughput now have drill-down graphs for clusters, hosts, and VMs.70428
Virtualization Manager v4.0
- Diagnose problems by browsing the Time Travel historical performance and topology repository.
- Capacity Planning now includes disk and network I/O, failover analysis for multiple redundant systems, and options to ignore specific resources.
- The performance analyzer chart can now stack different data types on the same chart and overlay alerts, notes, and configuration collections schedules along the time line. Drill-down graphs allow for chart stacking options.
- An included vSphere 4.0 plug-in adds a SolarWinds menu to the vSphere client that can launch SolarWinds Virtualization Manager modules from vCenter inventory items.
- Alerts include recommendations to help you resolve issues now and prevent them in the future.
- Active links from alert pages provide context-specific information about virtual objects related to the alert.
- Added 18 new trends, including Thin Provisioned Reclaimable Space and Amazon EC2 Total Cost by Folder or by Resource Pool
- Added two new dashboards:
- Host and Cluster Health
- Showback (usage by folder and resource pool)
- Added 12 new alerts, including:
- Datastore Excessive VM Log Files
- Host Bus Resets
- Host Command Aborts
- Host Network Utilization High
- Host to Datastore Latency
- VM Disk Latency
- VM Memory Under-allocated
- VM Phantom Snapshot Files
- VM Potential Unused CPU
- Search for VMs with misaligned disk volumes. Guests running Windows 2003 or earlier may have misaligned VMFS disk partitions compromising performance.
- Detailed object view now includes CPU, memory, and IO stats along with disk volume capacity and usage.
- Clicking column headings sorts search results.
- NFS and VSCSI statistics no longer requires SSH for ESX 4.1 hosts.
- Storage path statistic graphs are available for host objects.
- Performance graphs now include peak statistics.
- New authentication configuration page lets you configure AD authentication for your users without editing configuration files.
- Two external actions are now included that can insert the top CPU or memory consuming processes into a note that can appear in a chart overlay.
- Search strings can now be constructed with Attribute filters that include any instances instead of single instances.
- Widgets in one dashboard can now be copied to another.
- Reports can now be scheduled to report their results as an HTML-based email message for convenient viewing on a smart phone. The e-mail message also contains a PDF attachment for desktop viewing.
- Top-N widgets can now contain more than 14 elements.
Copyright © 1995-2012 SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. All rights reserved worldwide.
No part of this document may be reproduced by any means nor modified, decompiled, disassembled, published or distributed, in whole or in part, or translated to any electronic medium or other means without the written consent of SolarWinds. All right, title, and interest in and to the software and documentation are and shall remain the exclusive property of SolarWinds and its respective licensors.
SOLARWINDS DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, CONDITIONS OR OTHER TERMS, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, STATUTORY OR OTHERWISE, ON SOFTWARE AND DOCUMENTATION FURNISHED HEREUNDER INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE WARRANTIES OF DESIGN, MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL SOLARWINDS, ITS SUPPLIERS, NOR ITS LICENSORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES, WHETHER ARISING IN TORT, CONTRACT OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY EVEN IF SOLARWINDS HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
The SolarWinds, the SolarWinds & Design, ipMonitor, LANsurveyor, Orion, and other SolarWinds marks, identified on the SolarWinds website, as updated from SolarWinds from time to time and incorporated herein, are registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and may be registered or pending registration in other countries. All other SolarWinds trademarks may be common law marks or registered or pending registration in the United States or in other countries. All other trademarks or registered trademarks contained and/or mentioned herein are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective companies. Microsoft®, Windows®, and SQL Server® are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and/or other countries.