SAM Custom Template Guide
Last Updated: 4-1-2017
Check out SolarWinds Lab for the SAM Template Showcase Showdown, April 12th, 1pm CST!
Monitor third-party and in-house developed applications in your environment using SAM Templates and Component Monitors.
Application monitor templates provide a powerful, customizable method to monitor applications in your environment. Every template includes component monitors that return metrics for application performance, threshold monitoring, application health, and custom metrics through scripts. You can add new component monitors, modify thresholds, and assign the templates to nodes for monitoring through the Orion Web Console.
To get you running quickly, SAM includes over 200 out-of-the-box templates to customize and assign to monitored applications and nodes. SAM also includes options to create custom templates and import shared templates from other SAM users.
This guide includes:
- Learn about creating templates. SAM includes out-of-the-box templates and options to create and import custom templates.
- Review and create script monitors. SAM provides 4 script monitors for custom scripts including PowerShell, Nagios, Linux/Unix, and Windows. This information includes tips, best practices, and instructions.
- Import new templates. Quickly import and assign templates to monitor application nodes based on application categories, shared by other SAM users through THWACK.
- Export and share templates. Export templates to share with SAM users through THWACK.
This getting started guide assumes that you have:
- Purchased or are evaluating Orion SAM.
- Installed and configured a SolarWinds Orion deployment with SAM.
- Completed the Getting Started Guide for SAM. There are some very important principles and skills that you learn in the getting started guides, so SolarWinds highly encourages you to work through that content.