Hide this message
Looking to compare latest NPM features with previous versions of NPM?
The NPM new feature summary offers a comparison of new features and improvements offered with this release.
Updated: August 15, 2016
In some scenarios, the SNMP Agent on a monitored system may stop respond. As a result, the elements being monitored will no longer get updated and their status may preserve the last known response or be changed to "unknown". The latter is often not part of Trigger Conditions within Alerts. This article provides a method to monitor this more vigilantly using SAM's SNMP Monitor.
Create the template:
1. Go to Settings > All Settings > SAM Settings > Manage Templates.
2. Click CREATE NEW TEMPLATE.
3. Name the template SNMP Monitor.
4. Click ADD COMPONENT MONITORS.
5. Search for SNMP.
6. Select SNMP Monitor and click ADD.
7. For the Monitor's Object Identifier (OID): value, enter the following:
8. Click Submit.
9. On the APPLICATION MONITOR TEMPLATES tab, search for SNMP.
10. Select the SNMP Monitor template and click ASSIGN TO NODE.
11. Assign this to the desired Nodes.
Note: This template should only be assigned to Nodes that use a Polling Method of "ICMP and SNMP".
Creating the alert:
1. Go Settings > All Settings > Manage Alerts.
2. Click ADD NEW ALERT.
3. Name the Alert SNMP Monitor is not UP and click NEXT.
4. Set the Trigger Conditions as follows:
I want to Alert on: Component
The Actual trigger Conditions: All child conditions must be satisfied (AND):
5. Click NEXT until you get to the TRIGGER ACTIONS tab.
6. Add an Email Action with needed settings.
7. Click NEXT, NEXT and SUBMIT.
As a result, if the SNMP Monitors fails to get a proper response, it will no longer be in an Up state and an Alert email should be received.