The following error message occurs when monitoring an Oracle 8 database using Orion APM with the light Oracle client installed:
ORA-12737: Instant Client Light: unsupported server character set xxxx occurs when monitoring Oracle database with Orion IPAM.
All IPAM versions
The issue is caused when the light Oracle client is used with the chosen character set. The light Oracle client only supports a minimal number of character sets.
1. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\APM\OracleClient and delete the light Oracle client.
2. Install the full Oracle client in C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\APM\OracleClient.
3. Restart all Orion services.
If the error ORA-12705: Cannot access NLS data files or invalid environment specified appears after restarting, do the following steps:
1. Go to your Oracle server and check the value for the character set used. Determine the character set by entering the following command in SQL*Plus:
select * from NLS_DATABASE_PARAMETERS where parameter='NLS_CHARACTERSET';
Warning: SolarWinds strongly recommends that you create a backup of the registry on the machine where Oracle client is installed.
2. Locate the following registry:
3. Find the following key and replace the value to the character set used on the Oracle server: