The SolarWinds WMI Providers for managed clients provide additional management and inventory tools that are not native to WSUS. Without them, you can only use Patch Manager to interface with WSUS, not directly with any managed clients. The following lists detail what is available with and without the WMI Providers.
Without the WMI Providers, you can:
- publish third-party updates to the WSUS server
- perform all WSUS administrative functions
- conduct a WSUS Inventory for details about your WSUS servers
- conduct a WSUS Extended Inventory to access a basic collection of system-level inventory data
With the WMI Providers, you can also:
- deploy updates on-demand using the Update Management and Update Management Wizard tasks
- conduct a Managed Computer Inventory for detailed information about managed clients
- perform configuration management tasks, such as Shutdown or Reboot, Refresh Group Policy, and Client Certificate Management
- use Computer Explorer to browse computer details and launch configuration management tasks
By default, Patch Manager does not deploy the WMI providers automatically unless you enable the Automatically provision SolarWinds WMI Providers option. If you do that, Patch Manager will deploy the WMI Providers to managed computer as needed for specific configuration management tasks. Otherwise, you will have to deploy the WMI Providers manually before Patch Manager can use them.
To enable the Automatically provision SolarWinds WMI Providers option:
- In the left pane of the Patch Manager console, expand Patch Manager System Configuration > Management Groups.
- Select the management group to which you want to deploy the WMI Providers.
- In the center pane, click the Settings tab.
Note: If you cannot see all of the tabs in your console view, click the right-arrow on the tab bar to scroll to tab you need to see.
- Select Automatically provision SolarWinds WMI Providers, and then click Action > Edit.
- In the Automatically provision SolarWinds WMI Providers window, select Enabled, and then click OK.
To manually install the SolarWinds WMI Providers from the Patch Manager console:
- Run the Computer Access Management task:
- In the Patch Manager console, locate and select the group to which the affected computer belongs.
- If you want to run the task for that group of computers, click Check and Manage Computer Connectivity in the Actions pane.
- If you want to run the task for a specific computer, select the computer in the center pane, and then click Check and Manage Computer Connectivity in the Actions pane.
- In the Computer Access Management window, select Install the WMI Providers if not already installed, and then select the applicable sub-options.
- Select all of the options outside of the SolarWinds WMI Providers Actions group except Enable DCOM if disabled.
- Click OK to run the task.
- If the Computer Access Management task cannot install the WMI Providers remotely, see Troubleshooting "Access Denied" Errors in Patch Manager.