A reminder or an error message is displayed in the Patch Manager console saying that the license count or number of nodes purchased have exceeded.
All Patch Manager versions
The inventory is configured to include all machines in the domain or when there are legacy machines in the Task History.
Patch Manager consumes a node for every computer it manages. Managed computers include all WSUS, SCCM, and Patch Manager servers, along with all managed clients. The Primary Application Server (PAS) calculates the number of managed computers using two sources:
- Enterprise > Managed Computers node
- Administration and Reporting > Task History node
Perform the following steps to delete non-existent or un-managed computers and any tasks related to them and release unnecessary nodes in the Patch Manager console before contacting Customer Support:
- Delete unnecessary computers from the Managed Computers node:
- In the Patch Manager console, expand Enterprise, and then select Managed Computers in the left pane.
- Select the computer(s) you want to delete in the center pane. Use Ctrl+click or Shift+click to select multiple computers.
- Click Delete Managed Computer in the Actions pane (right).
- Confirm your selection on the Delete Managed Computers window, and then click Delete > Close.
- Edit your scheduled tasks to filter for computers using the Only include computers that have a reported time option:
- In the Patch Manager console, expand Administration and Reporting, and then select Scheduled Tasks in the left pane.
- Select the task to be edited in the center pane.
- Click Properties in the Actions pane (right).
- In the Task Options Wizard window, click Select computers using rules.
- If you want to save the new computer selection rule for future use, enter a name for the rule in the Select an existing computer selection rule menu.
- Under Computer Filter, select and configure the Only include computers that have a reported time option, and then click OK.
- Specify whether you want to save the rule settings using the name you defined in Step 2e.
- If you clicked Yes on the previous dialog, click Yes again to confirm your selection, and then click OK.
- On the Computer Selection dialog, click OK.
- Back on the Task Options Wizard window, click Next twice.
- Click Finish.
- Delete items in the Task History that include unnecessary computers:
- In the Patch Manager console, expand Administration and Reporting, and then select Task History in the left pane.
- If you have a filter set for your Task History view, clear it to ensure all tasks will show up.
- Select the task(s) to be deleted in the center pane. Use Ctrl+click or Shift+click to select multiple tasks.
- Click Delete Task in the Actions pane (right).
- Confirm your selection on the Confirmation window, and then click Yes.
Note: The two most common Task History items that cause licensing issues are:
- Managed Computer Inventory tasks targeted to the domain
- Delete Managed Computer tasks from Step 1.
- Close all open Patch Manager consoles.
- Restart the EminentWare Data Grid Server service.