Use the Update Management Wizard in Patch Manager to deploy third-party updates to ConfigMgr clients without building a deployment package. The important part of this procedure is that you clear the Include only approved updates option on the second screen of the wizard.
Note: This procedure requires that you have already published the updates to the ConfigMgr update server.
To deploy third-party updates to ConfigMgr clients without building a deployment package:
- In left pane of the Patch Manager console, expand Enterprise > Update Services > updateServer > Updates, where updateServer is the update server to which you have published the updates.
- Select an update container. You will specify the updates you want to deploy in a later step.
- In the Actions pane (right), click Update Management Wizard.
- In the Update Management Wizard window, select Create custom dynamic update management rules, and then click Next.
- On the Options screen, clear the Include only approved updates option, and then select/configure the other options as applicable.
- Click Next.
- On the warning dialog, click OK to proceed.
- On the Custom Dynamic Rule screen, create rules to specify the updates you want to deploy:
- Click Add Rule, and then select the appropriate option. For example, select Product Rule to specify a particular vendor or product.
- On the rule dialog the wizard displays, enter or select a parameter. For example, in the Product Rule dialog, select a product or vendor.
- Select the logical operator you want to apply to the parameter you specified. For example, in the Product Rule dialog, select Include update when product contains to specify any applicable update that contains the vendor or product name you selected.
- Click OK.
- Repeat these steps if you want to specify additional updates.
- If you want to save this rule set for future Update Management Wizard tasks, click Save Template, and then specify a name for the rule template.
- Click Finish.
- Complete the Task Options Wizard to specify clients and other task options:
- On the computer selection screen, add the client(s) you want to target with the task.
- Click Next.
- On the Scheduling and Notification Options screen, specify the Schedule Settings, Export Options, and Email Options.
- Click Next.
- On the summary screen, verify the details of the task, and then click Finish.
When Patch Manager completes the task, it instructs the Windows Update Agent on the ConfigMgr client to check whether the update(s) you specified are applicable. The client then downloads the update(s) it needs from the update server, and then proceeds with the installation.