When NTM fails to provide a role for a device and marks it as an ICMP or Unidentified device, it is normally because SNMP communication between NTM and the device in question is failing. This article explains how to test SNMP Communication using the SNMPWalk tool included with NTM.
The issue is caused by any of the following SNMP Communication failures:
1. Run the following executable:
C:\Program Files\SolarWinds\Network Topology Mapper\SnmpWalk\SnmpWalk.exe
2. Enter the IP address and SNMP community string for the Device.
3. Leave the OID as 1 and click Scan.
4. Save the results to a file on your desktop.
5. Open the file in a text editor.