Hide this message
Looking to compare latest NPM features with previous versions of NPM?
The NPM new feature summary offers a comparison of new features and improvements offered with this release.
This article provides steps to use a remote Microsoft SQL server as a database.
You can improve the performance of your Orion Network Performance Monitor by offloading the SQL transaction processing from your Orion server to a remote Microsoft SQL Server.
All NPM versions
1. Close all Orion applications currently running on your Orion server.
2. Click Start > All Programs > SolarWinds Orion > Configuration and Auto-Discovery > Configuration Wizard.
3. Check Database, and then click Next.
Note: If you are prompted to stop services, click Yes.
To ensure that all updates and changes are installed correctly, it is imperative that you stop all services.
4. Specify the remote SQL Server instance you want to use to store network data, and then provide the credentials, if necessary, to log into the selected instance.
SAuser account are always members of securityadmin.
5. Click Next.
6. If you are creating a new database, select Create a New Database, provide a name for the New Database, and then click Next.
7. If you are using an existing database, select Use an existing database, type the database name or select it from the Existing Database list, and then click Next.
8. If you want to create a new SQL account for the Orion NPM polling engine and web console to use for accessing the database, select Create a new account, provide a New Account name and Password, confirm the account password, and then click Next.
9. If you want to use an existing SQL account for the Orion NPM polling engine and web console to use for accessing the database, select the Existing Account, provide the appropriate Password, and then click Next.
10. Click Next on the Completing the Orion Configuration Wizard dialog.
11. Click Finish when the Orion Configuration Wizard completes.