Unable to change the preferred IP address for an NPM server that has multiple NIC, VLAN(s) or IP(s).
A metric is a value which is assigned to an IP route for a particular network interface and identifies the cost associated with using that route. For example, the metric can be valued in terms of link speed, hop count, time delay or even physical cost of utilizing specific route due to other arrangements. The Automatic Metric feature is enabled by default, and it can be manually configured to assign a specific metric. This feature can force all of the traffic that is destined for the Internet, for example to use the fastest network interface available, even though it may not be desired behavior.
- Check NIC prioritization.
- Click Start > Run, and then type ncpa.cpl. The Network Connections page opens.
- Press ALT on your keyboard to show the Advanced dropdown menu and then select Advanced Settings.
- Select the network that you want and click the UP arrow on the right until the network is on top (to be the first priority).
2. Check for NIC Teaming.
- Click Start > Run, and then type lbfoadmin.exe. The NIC Teaming page opens.
If the adapter is not disabled, click Task > Disable to turn off NIC teaming.
3. Check for any hosts file entries.
- Go to C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc and save a copy of the original hosts file as backup file, in case you need to rollback later.
- Open the hosts file using Notepad text editor.
- Check if there are different IP address that should not be present on the file and delete them.
- Save the changes.
4. Check the current engine IP address.
- Go to Start > Solarwinds Orion > Advanced Features > Database Manager.
- Click Add default server.
- Expand the Solarwinds database and then locate Allengines.
- If it does not use the correct IP address, click Enable table editing to update the IP column.
- Click the Enable table editing again to save the changes.
5. Uncheck Automatic Metric Feature and Enter the value.
- Click Start > Run and then type ncpa.cpl. The Network Connections page opens.
- Right-click each network interfaces, and then click Properties.
- Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), then click Properties.
- On the General tab, click Advanced.
- Deselect the Automatic metric checkbox.
- Enter the correct number depending on the prioritization of your network interfaces.
- Having low number means HIGH PRIORITY = so 1 is the 1st priroity then 2 and 3 or any number higher
- For example, if you want to choose the IP address on Ethernet 2, use the following:
Ethernet1 = Set Interface metric value "2"
Ethernet2 = Set Interface metric value "1"
Ethernet3 = Set Interface metric value "3"
- Click OK.
6. Run the Configuration wizard.
- Go to Start > All Programs > SolarWinds Orion > Configuration and Auto-Discovery > Configuration Wizard.
- Select the following and then click Next:
Note: proceed with the default settings.
- On the Website Settings, set the IP Address to ALL UNASSIGNED and then click Next.
- Proceed with defaults settings.