SolarWinds Migration Guide
Last Updated: 4-6-2017
This guide details step-by-step how to prepare and migrate your SolarWinds products and databases (SQL and NTA) to new servers. You can migrate any time to improve your hardware, to change server types like from physical to virtual machine (VM), and as part of your upgrade. New products may require increased hardware requirements, especially for scalability or multi-module environments.
Do I need to migrate?
You may need to migrate your products or SQL database to new servers or SQL versions for many reasons.
Is this your situation:
- My product version hardware, server OS, or SQL requirements may have changed. For example, future release after NPM 12.1 and SAM 6.4 no longer support Windows OS 2008 and 2008 R2 and Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2; NPM 11.5 and SAM 6.2 no longer support SQL Server 2005 requiring an upgrade. See the minimum requirements for your product and the multi-module guidelines to start planning.
- I may need new servers for space and better performance. For example, your SQL or Flow Storage Database server may be running out of space.
- I may need to migrate products to a shared or dedicated server. For example, NCM 7.4.X and NPM 11.5.X merged to work from the same SQL database and main server/poller. This may require an extended or new servers.
- I may be adding a new database. For example, NTA 4.X adds a new Flow Storage Database that works best on a dedicated server.
- I want to move to a new server type. For example, moving to VMs from physical servers may be a better for your environment.
Migrating during an upgrade? We recommend preparing your new servers and planning the move as part of your upgrade process.