Hide this message
Looking to compare latest NPM features with previous versions of NPM?
The NPM new feature summary offers a comparison of new features and improvements offered with this release.
This article provides information regarding the root cause of Event 10028 "DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer" and how to address this issue.
Related Errors from DataProcessor.log:
2016-05-12 15:43:56,722 [STP ProcessingPipeLine Thread #401] ERROR DataPreProcessing - Processing result: PollerResultWrapper: PollerType=V.Status.WMI.Windows, NetObject=V:79 ErrorCode=800705AF, ErrorMessage= Scope: IPAddress\root\CIMV2[\chcrr\svc_chcsw] ErrorCode: 0x800705AF
2016-05-12 15:43:44,628 [STP ProcessingPipeLine Thread #400] ERROR DataPreProcessing - Processing result: PollerResultWrapper: PollerType=N.Memory.WMI.Windows, NetObject=N:222 ErrorCode=800705AF, ErrorMessage= Scope: IPAddress\root\CIMV2[\chcrr\svc_chcsw] ErrorCode: 0x800705AF
Event 10028 DCOM error occurs when the WMI request failed to communicate on a remote node due to invalid credentials in which an event is being logged automatically.
1. Navigate to the directory from the Orion Server to verify nodes experiencing WMI challenge request (C:\ProgramData\Solarwinds\Collector\Logs)
2. Look for the DataProcessor.log and manually search the nodes in question using the keyword CIMV2.
3. Perform a wbemtest to verify if the credentials set are valid.
a. Type wbemtest in the run dialog box.
b. Under Namespace change root\default to CIMV2 then click Connect.
c. If a second dialog box appears, repeat step a.
d. Click Enum Classes, select Recursive, and then click OK.
You should see a display of all the CIM objects
3. You can also double check stored credentials in Orion to check validity by going through the following steps:
a. Go to Orion Web Console > Settings > Manage Windows Credentials.
4. Option if SAM is installed:
a. Go to Orion Web Console > Settings > Sam Settings > Credentials Library.