Hide this message
Looking to compare latest NPM features with previous versions of NPM?
The NPM new feature summary offers a comparison of new features and improvements offered with this release.
The following error occurs while viewing the resources on the NPM Web Console:
There was an error while rendering resource with ID X
NPM version 10.6 and later
The error is caused by permissions granted on NPM files and folders.
Also this can be seen when load balancer are in front of the web console web servers, which has
this same effect from sticky sessions. (Resolution may be on the load balancer side out of support's scope)
The resolution consists of five parts:
1. Open the License Manager. Click Start > All Programs > Solarwinds.
2. Select All Products, and then click Synchronize.
This will update all unknown or outdated licenses.
Run the Permission Checker tool. This tool is found in the Orion install directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\OrionPermissionChecker.exe.
1. Run the tool using an Administrator account (this should be the Local Administrator account), and click on Check to perform an analysis of required permissions on the server.
2. If you see FAILED results, click Repair to attempt to repair these failures.
If the issue persists, proceed to the next parts of the procedure:
Clear ASP.NET cache:
1. Log on the to your NPM server using Local Admin.
2. On the Orion NPM server, access Orion Service Manager. Click Start > All Programs > SolarWinds Orion > Advanced Features.
3. Click Shutdown Everything to stop all services.
4. Open CMD, and enter iisreset /stop.
5. Go to these locations and delete the content inside root folder:
Delete Orion database subscriptions:
Note: Only temporary database subscriptions will be deleted.
1. Open the Database Manager in Solarwinds Orion folder. Go to Start > Solarwinds Orion > Advanced Features > Database Manager.
2. Click Add Server to add the Orion Server.
3. Log in using your SQL Orion account.
4. Right-click SolarWinds Orion Database, and select New Query.
5. Copy and Paste the following query, and then Execute Query:
Note: If it executes correctly, should be able to see something in the messages tab.
6. Go to C:\ProgramData\Solarwinds\installers (Make sure that UAC is disabled first on the machine before doing this).
7. Run the InformationService.msi and select Uninstall.
8. Click again the same installer to re-install and choose Typical install and do not change any settings.
Recreate the website:
1. Go to Start > My Computer > C:\Inetpub.
2. Rename the SolarWinds folder to SolarWinds_OLD.
3. Open the IIS:
a. Click Start > All Programs, click Accessories, and then click Run.
b. In the Open box, type inetmgr and then click OK.
4. Stop and Delete the Solarwinds Orion Website.
5. Stop and Delete the Orion Application Pool.
a. On the Application Pools page, select SolarWinds Orion Application Pool.
b. In the Actions pane, click Stop to stop the application pool then delete.
6. Start the IIS service. Open CMD, enter iisreset /start.
7. Go to Start > All Programs > SolarWinds Orion > Configuration and Auto-Discovery > Configuration Wizard.
8. Tick the following then click Next button ( make sure to use all default settings and do not change any settings):
9. On the Website Settings section, make sure IP Address is set to ALL UNASSIGNED then click Next button.
10. Proceed with defaults by clicking Next button.
11. Wait for the process to complete. It should take about 15 to 45 minutes.
Once done, you will experience a delay for about 20 minutes or less since all the cache has been deleted from the database, but eventually it will turn back to normal.