This article describes how to create a Scheduled Backup and Maintenance Plan for Orion Database with SQL Server Management Studio
All Orion versions
To use SQL Server Management Studio to manage your Orion database:
1. Click Start > Microsoft SQL Server > SQL Server Management Studio.
2. Click View > Object Explorer.
3. Expand the SQL Server instance containing your Orion database in the Object Explorer pane on the left.
Note: Expand the Databases folder for any instance to confirm included databases. By default, the Orion database is named SolarWinds Orion.
4. Expand the Management folder, right-click the Maintenance Plans folder, and then click Maintenance Plan Wizard.
Note: The Maintenance Plans folder will only be visible if you have Administrator rights.
5. Click Next to start the SQL Server Maintenance Plan Wizard.
6. Provide an appropriate Name and Description for your maintenance plan.
7. Click Browse (…) next to the Server field.
8. Check your SQL Server\Instance, and then click OK.
Note: If your SQL Server\Instance is not in the list, provide it manually.
9. Select the authentication type that is used to connect to the SQL server, and, if required, provide appropriate User name and Password credentials.
Note: Use the same authentication type and credentials you provided in the Orion Configuration Wizard to access your Orion database.
10. Check Clean Up History and Back Up Database (Full) Note: When a task is clicked, the Maintenance Plan Wizard provides a brief task description.
11. Click Next.
12. Set the order of task execution, top to bottom, by selecting tasks and clicking Move Up and Move Down as needed.
Note: The following steps assume the Clean Up History task precedes the Back Up Database (Full) task.
13. Click Next when the task execution order is set.
14. On the Define Cleanup History Task view, check the types of historical data to delete, and then set the threshold age for historical data removal.
15. Click Next.
16. On the Database Back Up (Full) view, complete the following steps:
a. Click the Databases field.
b. Select These databases.
c. Check your Orion database.
17. Click OK.
18. Select Database in the Backup component area.
19. In the Destination area, complete the following steps:
a. Select Disk.
b. Select Create a backup file for every database.
c. Click Browse (…) to select an appropriate database backup file destination with sufficient free space.
20. Click Next.
21. On the Select Plan Properties view, click Change.
22. Configure the database maintenance job schedule as follows:
a. Provide an appropriate Name for the new job schedule.
b. Select Recurring as the Schedule type.
c. Check Enabled, and then select Daily in the Occurs field.
d. Provide an off-peak network usage time in the Occurs once at field.
e. Select a Start date, and then select No end date.
23. Click OK.
24. Click Next, and then check Write a report to a text file.
25. Click Browse (…) to select an appropriate maintenance report file destination.
26. Review wizard results, click Finish, and then, when the wizard successfully finishes, click Close.
For further information on using SQL server Management Studio, visit the
Microsoft Support Website at http://support.microsoft.com.