This article provides steps on how to build a Universal Device Poller (UnDP) for an OID of type counter.
- On the Orion server click Start > All Programs > SolarWinds Orion > Network Performance Monitor > Universal Device Poller to open the Orion Universal Device Poller.
- When the Orion Universal Device Poller starts, click on New Universal Device Poller.
- If you know the OID of the device that you want to monitor, put it in the OID field. Otherwise, browse / search the default MIB Tree to find suitable OID's.
- Expand the Show Advanced Options in order to choose the data formatting:
- In the Show Advanced Options section, define the data type and the SNMP GET method.
- Select the Counter option.
- Set the format to match when using a counter. None is the correct choice in general.
- Set the SNMP, Get Type of either GET or GET NEXT - these cover most scenarios with getting into the complexities of SNMP and depends on the OID being used.
- Select Keep Historical Data if you need to store the data for that device. For a counter, it is most likely that historical data is needed.
- Set the Status to Enabled if you want to start polling immediately once assigned.
- Choose a group for your UnDP. This setting determines the group the UnDP where it is contained in the lower left pane of the Orion Universal Device Poller application.
- In the next page, assign your UnDP to the specific nodes that need to be polled.
- Click test to verify that all the nodes with a UnDP can be polled and to view the results of polling the OID with the earlier settings.
- In the Web Display page, choose how to display the UnDP and on what pages you want it displayed on the Web Console (if applicable).
Vidoes demonstrating the UnDP creation process