Updated December 19, 2016
For situations where SQL Express is installed on a separate machine from SolarWinds Orion Platforms, these configuration changes need to be made on the SQL Server Express machine.
- SQL Server Express
- NPM 12.x
- From the SQL Server Express machine, launch SQL Center Configuration Manager.
- Expand SQL Server Network Configuration.
- Select the instance for your Orion NPM installation. By default, this will be Protocols for SQLEXPRESS.
- Change the Named Pipes protocol option to Enabled. The default Pipe Name setting is fine.
- Click OK.
- Change the TCP/IP protocol option to Enabled.
- Under TCP/IP Properties, select the IP Addresses tab and scroll down to IPAll.
- Change the TCP Port to 1433, delete the TCP Dynamic Ports if listed, and then click OK.
- Open Services.msc, and set the SQL Server Browser service to start automatically.
- Click start to start the service, and then click OK.
- Back in SQL Server Configuration Manager, select the SQL Server Services entry from the left pane.
- In the right pane, double-click the SQL Server Browser service.
- Click the Service tab, and change the Start Mode to Automatic.
- Right-click the SQL Server service at the top of the right pane, and select Restart.
Once the service is restarted, you should now be able to configure NPM to connect to your SQL Express instance. When you run the Configuration Wizard, it will prompt you to input your SQL Server name. If you have not changed this from default, it will be <SQLSERVERNAME>\SQLEXPRESS.