This article provides steps to configure a MAC OS X for SNMP-based monitoring with Orion.
- Log on to your Mac OS X terminal using an account with sudo privileges.
- Open /etc/hostconfig in a text editor.
- Under the # Services header, add the following line:
- Save hostconfig.
- Rename the original snmpd.conf file with the following command:
sudo mv /etc/snmpd.conf /etc/snmpd.conf.old
- Run the SNMP configuration utility to configure a basic snmpd.conf file, using the following command:
sudo snmpconf -i
Note: Use a basic read-only community string like public.
- Confirm the service has restarted by executing the following command:
sudo /sbin/service -list OR restart
- Open System Preferences > Security and confirm that the firewall is configured to allow all connections on port 161.
- Execute the following command to confirm SNMP communication locally:
snmpwalk -v 1 -c ROCommString localhost
The following resources may provide additional information: