Updating interface descriptions with SolarWinds Network Configuration Manager saves time because you do not have to remember IP addresses or login credentials for the device you are updating.
Back up the running configuration
- Click My Dashboards > Configs > Configuration Management.
- Select one or more nodes.
- Click Download > Running.
Update the interface descriptions
- Click My Dashboards > Configs > Jobs.
- Click Create New Job.
- Name the job, and select Execute Command Script on Devices from Job Type.
- Select the Schedule Type. If you are creating an Advanced schedule, use the five fields to create an appropriate cron expression.
- Add a comment if this job relates to a business rule, and click Next.
- Select the nodes to target with this job, and click Next.
- Select an email notification option, and click Next. If you click Email Results, the default Email Notification Settings and SMTP Server Settings Email Notification Settings and SMTP Server Settings are populated. These settings can be overridden in each job.
- Add the script to execute.
- If you want to save a script, click Save Script to File, specify a location, and click Save.
- Select Filter Results that match a pattern if you want to see in the script output only those lines that match a specific regular expression pattern.
- Select Show Commands in Output to view what SolarWinds NCM sent to the targeted devices.
- Click Next.
- Review the settings for the job, and click Finish.
Verify success by checking the interface description
- Click My Dashboards > Configs > Config Summary.
- Click the updated node in the list.
- Click the Configs tab.
- Under Config List, select the running config, and click Edit Config.
- Locate the interface definitions.
- Verify that the new description has been applied to the interface you modified.