NPM and your SolarWinds Orion database must use separate servers.
Multiple Orion server installations using the same database are not supported.
If you install on a virtual machine, you must maintain your SQL Server database on a separate, physical drive.
The following table lists software and hardware requirements for your SolarWinds Orion database server using SolarWinds NPM license levels.
|Requirements ||SL100, SL250, SL500 ||SL2000 ||SLX |
SolarWinds supports Express, Standard, or Enterprise versions of the following:
- SQL Server 2008, 2008 SP1, 2008 SP2, 2008 SP3, or 2008 SP4
- SQL Server 2008 R2, 2008 R2 SP1, 2008 R2 SP2, or 2008 R2 SP3
- SQL Server 2012, 2012 SP1, 2012 SP2, or 2012 SP3
- SQL Server 2014 or 2014 SP1
- SQL Server 2016
- SolarWinds strongly recommends using the 64-bit version of SQL Server.
FullWithSQL installer package automatically installs SQL Server 2014 Express. This is recommended for evaluations.
SQL Server collation
- English with collation setting
- German with collation setting
- Japanese with collation setting
- Simplified Chinese with collation setting
We support CI database on an CS SQL Server.
We do not support case-sensitive databases.
Quad core processor or better
Dual quad core processor or better
Dual quad core processor or better
Hard drive space
20 GB minimum
40 GB recommended
50 GB minimum
100 GB recommended
100 GB minimum
400 GB recommended
SolarWinds recommends the following configuration:
- A hardware RAID Controller with a battery backed-up write back cache
- Disk Subsystem 1 Array 1: 2x 146 GB 15K disks RAID 1 (mirroring) for the OS
- Disc Subsystem 2 Array 2: 2x 146 GB 15K disks RAID 1 (Pagefile + Extra Storage)
- Disk Subsystem 3 Array 3: with 6x 15k 146 GB or 300 GB disks configured in a RAID 1+0 array for your SQL MDF and FILEGROUPS.
- Disk Subsystem 4 Array 4: with 4x 15k 146 GB or 300 GB disks configured in a RAID 1+0 array for your SQL LDF Transaction LOG file
- Disk Subsystem 5 Array 5: with 4x 15k 146 GB or 300 GB disks configured in a RAID 1+0 array for your tempdb data file
- Disk Subsystem 6 Array 6: with 4x 15k 146 GB or 300 GB disks configured in a RAID 0 array for your tempdb log file
- Due to intense I/O requirements, a RAID 1+0 drive is strongly recommended for the SolarWinds database, data, and log files with a dedicated drive for the server operating system and tempdb files.
- Other RAID configurations can negatively affect your SQL Server's performance.
- Mirrored drives for the OS and RAID 1+0 for database data files are recommended.
- Solid state drives (SSD) are recommended for all components.
Per Windows standards, some common files may need to be installed on the same drive as your server operating system. You may want to move or expand the Windows or SQL temporary directories.
4 GB minimum
8 GB recommended
16 GB minimum
64 GB recommended
64 GB minimum
128 GB recommended
SL250 & SL500
8 GB minimum
16 GB recommended
Either mixed-mode or SQL authentication
|Other software || |
If you are managing your SolarWinds Orion database, SolarWinds recommends you install the SQL Server Management Studio component.
The Installation Wizard installs the following required x86 components if they are not found on your Orion database server:
- SQL Server System Common Language Runtime (CLR) Types. Orion products use secure SQL CLR stored procedures for selected, non-business data operations to improve overall performance.
- Microsoft SQL Server Native Client
- Microsoft SQL Server Management Objects