SolarWinds does not support automatically emailing scheduled reports due to the size of the common and recommended scheduled reports. This article discusses an alternative by scheduling the reports to export to a network share and configure a LEM rule to send an email notification when the reports are finished.
For more information about scheduling reports, see one of the following articles based on your preferred operating system:
Configuring Default Batch Reports on Vista/7/2008 Computers
Configure default batch reports on Windows XP/2003 computers
Schedule the reports
- If you want to schedule all of the recommended reports, see one of the articles linked above.
- If you want to schedule a specific report, open LEM Reports.
- Select the report you want to schedule.
- Click Schedule.
- Click Add.
- Enter a name for your new task in the Task Description field, and then click OK.
- Click the Schedule tab.
- Click New, and then set the frequency and start time for your task.
- If you are finished configuring your task, click OK.
- Enter and confirm the password for the user you want Windows Task Scheduler to use to execute the task.
- Back on the Report Scheduler Tasks window, select the task you just created and then click Load to View or Edit.
- Select the data source, date range, and export preferences in the lower pane, and then click Save.
- If you are finished configuring your Report Scheduler tasks, click Close.
Create an Email Template
Create an Email Template in the Build > Groups area of your LEM Console. SolarWinds recommends the following parameters in your template:
- The ExtraneousInfo field contains the file path of the report template and export location, if applicable. Use the latter to locate your exported scheduled reports.
- For additional information about creating Email Templates, see Creating a Custom Email Template.
Configure a LEM rule
- Create a new rule in the Build > Rules area of your LEM Console with one or more of the following correlations.
- Use InternalInfo.EventInfo = *Report Completed* to fire the rule for any report, regardless of whether or not they are scheduled or run manually.
- Use InternalInfo.EventInfo = *
" Report Completed* to specify a single report, where Report Title is the exact name of the report as it appears in LEM Reports.
- Use InternalInfo.DetectionIP = IP Address of Scheduled Reports Computerto limit the rule to fire only for reports that are run on a specific computer.
- Use InternalInfo.DetectionTime Contains
Scheduled Reports Time of Day Set with a custom Time of Day Set to encompass the times during which you expect your scheduled reports to run. Click for more information about creating Time of Day Sets.
- Add the Send Email Message action to your rule and configure the action using the Email Template you created above and specify the users you want to notify of this type of event.
- Enable, save, and activate your new rule.