The Explore view provides access to data analysis utilities to retrieve additional information about the events you see in the LEM console.
The nDepth option locates and analyzes the events on your network. This option includes:
- Clickable charts and utilities to view and refine search results
- Toolbar options to switch between multiple utilities and views
- A Result Details utility to view all of your search results in text format
- A PDF export utility to configure and export custom reports
Use the Utilities option to access several IT analysis utilities, including:
- Flow (sFlow and NetFlow)
Execute a Whois, NSLookup, or Traceroute task from an event or search result
- Locate and select the event or search result you want to explore.
- Click Explore and select an option in the drop-down menu.
Execute a blank Whois, NDLookup, or Traceroute task
- Click the Explore tab and select Utilities.
- Click Explore on the Utilities title bar and select a utility.
- Complete the form for the utility, and click Search.
Collect and display flow data
LEM supports flow exports from both NetFlow and sFlow devices. Use the Flow Explorer in the LEM console to view graphs, charts, and grids, as well as:
- Top Talkers by Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA)-based Protocol
- Top Talkers by Port
- Top Talkers by Source/Destination Address
- Top Talkers by Total Bytes
- Top Talkers by Total Packets
See the manufacturer specifications to configure your devices to send Flow data to your LEM appliance. The LEM appliance supports data on the 2100/UDP for NetFlow devices and 6343/UDP for sFlow devices.
Enable flow collection and analysis on the LEM appliance
- Connect to your LEM virtual appliance using either the vSphere console view or an SSH client like PuTTY.
If you are using an SSH client, log in to your LEM virtual appliance using your CMC credentials.
- At the cmc> prompt, enter service.
- At the cmc::scm# prompt, enter enableflow.
- To confirm your entry, enter y.
The Manager service on LEM automatically restarts.
- At the prompt, enter n and follow the prompts to select the Flow collector and enable Flow Analysis for Flow data collected on another system.
Otherwise, enter y.
- Enter and press Enter to return to the cmc> prompt.
- Enter and press Enter to log out of your LEM virtual appliance.
View flow data in the LEM console
- Open the LEM Console and log in to the LEM Manager as an administrator.
- Open the Monitor view.
- Click the Explore drop-down menu and select Flow.
The Flow Explorer presents data in graph, chart, or grid formats.