This video will demonstrate how to configure and test SolarWinds Log & Event Manager or LEM email components that allow you to setup automated notifications
LEM will use your existing email or smtp relay server to forward email notifications.
Before we get started there are a few things you will need.
- Ip address or hostname of your primary or relay email server.
- An email address you can use for testing.
- If your email server is secured you will need to add the LEM virtual appliance IP address as an authorized source.
Now that we have everything in place let's go ahead with the installation.
- First you will need to login to your LEM web console.
- Next, click on the MANAGE button in the navigation bar at the top of your console then click APPLIANCES.
- Now click on the small gear icon next to the appliance name and select connectors.
- A Connectors dialogue box will appear with a search bar seen here.
- Type "email" in the search bar and a list of available connectors will appear to the right.
- Click the gear icon next to the connector that reads System Tool - Email Active Response and select "NEW"
- Configuration fields will be displayed below allowing to enter information.
- Fill in the ip address of you email server next to Mail Host.
- Only enter a port number if you use something other than port 25.
- If you are using a 3rd party email server you can click on the Transport Protocol drop down and select either SSL or TLS. If you select either of these make sure you add the port number in the "PORT" field above.
- Change the return address to reflect your current domain. So instead of firstname.lastname@example.org you might use something like mycompanyIT@mydomain.com
- Change the display name if you want it to read something other the SolarWinds.. some people will change to it to reflect their particular department.. like Secuirty Alert or System Alert as an example.
- the Authentication Server username and password fields are on required if you have to authenticate BEFORE you SEND an email or if you use a 3rd party like google or office365.
- Finally, enter an email address you can use as a test.
- Now that you have entered all of the proper information click on the SAVE button to the right and you will see a newly created email connector listed above.
- Click on the gear icon next to the new connector and click START.
- Once you see a Green icon with the play button in the middle go ahead click the small test email icon next to where you added the test email address.
- Now check your email to verify you received a SolarWinds test message.
Now that you have configured the LEM email connector it's time to add email accounts to LEM.
- Click on the BUILD button in the navigation bar then click USERS.
- If you have added users through Active Directory then email addresses will be pulled in automatically.
- To add an email address to a user click on the gear icon next to that user and select EDIT.
- At the bottom right of the user account configuration you will see a large CONTACT INFORMATION section on the bottom right.
- Click on the plus sign to the right to allow editing and add your email address in the field above. You can add as many addresses as you want to include distribution lists.
- Click the save button to add the address. Once added hit the addtional save button at the very bottom.
- If you wish to test once more you can click the envelope icon next to the email address to send another test message.
Visit the Success Center for more information on using Log & Event Manager. https://support.solarwinds.com/Succe..._Manager_(LEM)