The installation of LEM Reports includes a default batch set of INI files used to schedule reports. These files contain the configurations necessary to schedule several best practice reports on either a daily or weekly basis, depending on their scope. Follow the steps below to schedule these reports to run on a designated reports computer that is running Windows XP or Windows Server 2003.
Choose a reports computer
- Choose a computer running Windows XP or Windows Server 2003. For instructions on how to schedule reports on a computer running Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows Server 2008 or 2012, see Configuring Default Batch Reports on Vista/7/2008 Computers.
- Choose a computer that is on overnight because the daily and weekly start time for these reports is 1 AM and 3 AM, respectively.
- Choose a computer with at least 512 MB of RAM. SolarWinds recommends to use a computer with 1 GB of RAM or more for optimal Reports performance.
- Include the computer in the list of IP addresses defined by the restrictreports command in the CMC. For more information, see Configuring Report Restrictions in the LEM User Guide.
INI file preparation
Modify the default INI files in the LEM Reports installation directory to specify the hostname of the LEM manager or database in your environment and the export destination for your scheduled reports.
To modify the default INI files:
- Navigate to the LEM Reports installation directory and open the SchedINI folder:
- On 32 bit computers:
C:\Program Files\SolarWinds Log and Event Manager Reports
- On 64 bit computers:
C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds Log and Event Manager Reports
- Open each of the BRPT*.ini files and make the following changes in a text editor:
- Replace the default value next to Manager1 with the hostname of the LEM Manager or database appliance in your environment. Use the hostname of your LEM database appliance if you have a dedicated appliance to store your normalized LEM alert data.
- Modify the ExportDest file path if you want to customize the location to which LEM Reports saves the exported reports. The default file path is
%ProgramFiles%\SolarWinds Log and Event Manager Reports\Export.
- Save your changes and close the files.
Schedule the reports to run
Schedule your batch reports to run using Windows Task Scheduler. Complete the following procedure twice: once for the daily reports and once for the weekly reports.
To schedule reports using Windows Task Scheduler:
- Create a new scheduled task by opening Control Panel > Scheduled Tasks > Add Scheduled Task.
- Click Next to start the Scheduled Task Wizard.
- Click Browse to browse for
SWLEMReports.exe. See Step 1 in INI File Preparation.
- Modify the default task name to reflect the frequency of the scheduled task. For example, enter
LEM Reports - Weekly for the weekly task.
- Select Daily or Weekly, depending on what batch of reports you are scheduling, and then click Next.
- Set the start time and frequency for your scheduled reports:
- For the daily task: 1 AM, Every Day
- For the weekly task: 3 AM, Every 1 week, Monday
- Click Next.
- Enter Windows credentials for a user to run the task.
- Provide a user with administrator level permissions.
- If you specified a network location in Step 2 in INI File Preparation, provide a user with write permissions to that folder.
- Use a service account to avoid having to maintain the task according to your password change policy.
- Click Next.
- Select Open advanced properties for this task when I click Finish, and then click Finish.
- On the Tasks tab, add the following to the argument in the Run field according to the task being created. Separate the new argument from the existing one with a space.
- Use the %ProgramFiles(x86)% environment variable on 64-bit computers.
- The /l at the beginning of the additional argument is optional. This generates a log file called SWLEMReports.log when Task Scheduler runs your task. The file is saved in %ProgramFiles%\SolarWinds Log and Event Manager Reports.
- For the daily task:
- For the weekly task:
- Click OK.
Complete argument for 32-bit computers
"%ProgramFiles%\SolarWinds Log and Event Manager Reports\SWLEMReports.exe" /l "%ProgramFiles%\SchedINI\BATCHDay.ini"
Complete argument for 64-bit computers
"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\SolarWinds Log and Event Manager Reports\SWLEMReports.exe" /l "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\SchedINI\BATCHDay.ini"
Default report schedules
Once configured, the scheduled tasks run and export the following reports:
Note: You can open reports with the .rpt extension in LEM Reports for filtering and exporting. If you have another program, such as Crystal Reports, associated with this file format, you can access these reports with LEM Reports by opening the Reports console first and then clicking Open on the Settings tab.