This article shows how to create an action that will send an e-mail message to the recipients specified whenever a Syslog message is received that matches the filters set.
Details from the Syslog message received and other Syslog statistics can be included in the e-mail subject or
message body. This program can also be used as a Syslog to e-mail converter.
All Kiwi Syslog versions
Server: Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2, 2008, 2008 R2, 2003, 2003 R2
Workstation: Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP
- Verify that you have set the SMTP server and format of the Email (HTML/Plain text) options via the email options.
- Specify the e-mail recipient's address in the E-mail recipient field. More than one address can be specified. Each address must be separated by a comma.
- Specify the From address in the E-mail From field. Make sure that when you use secured mailing(SSL/TLS), the from address keyed in 'Email setup' and 'Email message' Action are the same.
- Specify the e-mail subject in the E-mail subject field. (Single line only). The Max subject length option can be used to ensure that only a limited number of characters are sent in the subject line.
- Specify the e-mail message in the E-mail message field. (Multiple lines may be used). If this message is intended for an e-mail to pager gateway, then the message body part of the e-mail may not be used. In this case, you can just leave it blank. Most paging systems only have limited space so they only use the subject part of the message. The Max message length option can be used to limit the amount of data sent in the message body. If you have used the variable %MsgText in the message body and a large syslog message arrives, it may be too large to send via e-mail. You can limit the message body length to a more manageable length.
- The Test button will send a test e-mail message to the specified recipients. The content of the test message can be modified by pressing the Test Setup button.
- Insert message content or counter to pass program variables, counters, script fields and statistics into the message or subject, click on the Insert message content or counter link and choose an option from the popup menu. More details on the values can be found here.
This option allows you to choose a variable from a popup menu. The variable is then replaced with the current
value before the message is sent. For example %MsgText is replaced with the text of the current syslog
message. Just position your cursor in the subject or message text line and click the hyperlink. A popup menu
will be displayed so you can choose the variable you want.
Example subject field: Syslog Alert from %MsgHost
Example message body field: Message from Host %MsgHost at %MsgTime on %MsgDate Message: %MsgText