You may specify that an alert be logged to the Windows Event Log either on the Orion server or on a remote server. The following procedure logs an advanced alert to the Windows Event Log on a designated server.
To configure advanced alert logging to the Windows Event Log:
1. Click Event Log.
2. If you want your alert to write to the Windows Event Log on your Orion server, select Use Event Log Message on Network Performance Monitor Server.
3. If you want your alert to write to the Windows Event Log on a remote server, select Use Event Log Message on a Remote Server, and then provide the Remote Server Name or IP Address.
4. Type the message you want to log to the Windows Event Log in the Message to send to Windows Event Log field.
5. If you want to insert a variable in to the Message field, complete the following procedure:
a. Click Insert Variable.
b. Select a Variable Category.
c. Select the variable you want to add.
d. If you want to change the parser, check Change Parser, and then select the parser you want to use.
e. If you want to define the SQL variable to copy to the clipboard, check Define SQL Variable, and then click Insert Variable From Above List.
f. Click Build Selected Variable.
6. Click Time of Day.
7. Enter the time period and select the days over which you want to activate your alert action.
8. If you want to enable alert escalation, click Alert Escalation, and then check any of the following options, as appropriate for your alert:
9. If you are finished configuring your alert log file, click OK.