Orion can be configured to log alerts to a designated file. The following procedure logs an advanced alert to a designated file
To configure an alert log file for an advanced alert:
1. Click Event Log, and then specify an alert log file by doing either of the following in the Alert Log File name field:
Note: If the file specified does not exist, it will be created with the first alert occurrence.
2. Type the message you want to log to your alert log file in the Message field.
3. If you want to insert a variable in to the Message field, complete the following procedure:
a. Click Insert Variable, and then select a Variable Category.
b. Select the variable you want to add.
c. If you want to change the parser, check Change Parser, and then select the parser you want to use.
d. If you want to define the SQL variable to copy to the clipboard, check Define SQL Variable, and then click Insert Variable From Above List.
e. Click Build Selected Variable.
4. Click Time of Day.
5. Enter the time period over which you want to activate your alert action.
6. Select the days on which you want to activate your alert action.
7. If you want to enable alert escalation, click the Alert Escalation tab, and then check any of the following options, as appropriate for your alert:
8. If you are finished configuring your alert log file, click OK.