After adding a node to the Orion database as an ICMP only node, you may need to promote the node to SNMP to start collecting additional statistics. the Node Management utility of the IPAM Web Console can easily promote your node to SNMP without any loss of historical data.
To promote an ICMP only node to SNMP:
1. Log in to the IPAM Web Console as an administrator.
2. Click Settings in the top right of the web console.
and then click Manage Nodes in the Node & Group Management grouping of the Orion Website Administration page.
3. Locate the device to promote using either of the following methods:
4. Edit Properties, and then clear ICMP (Ping only).
5. In the SNMP area, select the SNMP Version for the promoted node.
Note: Orion uses SNMPv2c by default. If the promoted device supports or requires the enhanced security features of SNMPv3, select SNMPv3.
6. If you have installed multiple polling engines, select the Polling Engine you want to use to collect statistics from the added node.
Note: This option may not be available if you are only using one polling engine to collect information from your network.
7. If the SNMP port on the added node is not the Orion default of 161, provide the actual port number in the SNMP Port field.
8. If the added node supports 64 bit counters and you want to use them, check Allow 64 bit counters.
Note: Orion fully supports the use of 64-bit counters; however, these high capacity counters can exhibit erratic behavior depending how they are used. If you notice peculiar results when using these counters, use the Edit Properties view to disable the use of 64-bit counters on the device in question, and then contact the hardware manufacturer.
9. If you want to use SNMPv2c to monitor the promoted node, provide valid community strings for the added node.
Note: The Read/Write Community String is optional, but Orion does require the public Community String, at minimum, for node monitoring.
10. If you want to use SNMPv3 to monitor the promoted node, provide the following SNMPv3 credential settings:
Note: Read/Write SNMPv3 Credentials are optional, but the public Community String is required, at a minimum, for node monitoring.
11. If you want to edit an existing SNMPv3 credential set, select the name of your set from the Saved Credential Sets list, and then edit the stored settings.
12. If you want save the provided SNMPv3 credentials as a credential set, provide a Name for your new credential set, and then click Save.
13. Click Validate SNMP after entering all required credentials to confirm your SNMP settings.
14. If you want to change the default polling settings for your promoted node, edit the Node Status Polling or Collect Statistics Every values in the Polling area, as appropriate.
Note: The Node Status Polling value refers to the period of time, in seconds, between the node status checks Orion performs on the promoted node. The Collect Statistics Every value refers to the period of time between updates Orion makes to displayed statistics for the promoted node.
15. If you have defined any custom properties for monitored nodes, provide appropriate values for the promoted node in the Custom Properties.
16. Click Submit when you have completed properties configuration for your promoted node.
17. If you have successfully added the node, click OK on the dialog.