Creating a group is a straightforward process of selecting the Orion objects you want the group to contain. At creation time, you can also decide how you want SolarWinds Orion to roll up the status of the group members.
It is also possible to specify group members on the basis of shared properties by adding them with a dynamic query. Orion objects added through dynamic queries are automatically added or removed from the group.
To create a group:
1. Click Start > All Programs > SolarWinds Orion > IPAM Web Console.
2. Click Settings in the top right of the web console.
3. Click Manage Groups in the Node & Group Management grouping of the Orion Website Administration page.
4. Click Add New Group.
5. Enter a name for the group in the Name field.
6. Expand Advanced.
7. If you want the group to roll up the worst status of the group members, select Show Worst Status.
8. If you want the group to roll up the best status of the group members, select Show Best Status.
9. If you want the group to display a warning status if the group members have a mixture of different statuses, select Mixed Status shows warning.
10. Click Next.
11. If you want to individually select group members, follow these steps:
a. In the Show Only list, select the type of Orion object you want to add as a group member.
b. Check the checkbox of the Orion object and then click Add to Group.
12. If you want to dynamically select group members based on shared properties, follow these steps:
a. Click Add dynamic query.
b. Type a name for the query in the Dynamic query object name field.
c. Select an Orion object type in the Orion Object is list.
d. Click Add Condition to specify further selection properties.
e. Click Preview to verify that the dynamic query is selecting your intended objects.
f. Click Save.
13. Continue adding individual Orion objects or dynamic queries until you have finished building your group.
14. Click Create Group.