IPAM supports five DNS record types. Each of the five DNS Records can be customized as needed.
- IPAM automatically detects DNS forward and Reverse mismatches.
- Automatic creation of DNS PTR records when adding new devices into DNS Zones.
- From this location you can manage all aspects of your domains registration. You can also change your domain name servers.
The following steps detail how to edit DNS Records:
- Select a zone then click a DNS Records
- A DNS Records details page will display.
- Select a single record to Edit or Add a new record to.
- If you want to delete a record, select the record and then click Delete. This message will display before you can proceed.
DNS Records supported in IPAM.
An A record gives you the IP address of a domain.
Example: www, mail, ftp, webmail, www2, secure, store, dev
|AAAA Record: |
Returns a 128-bit IPv6 address, most commonly used to map hostnames to an IP address of the host.
CNAME records are used to map aliases with domain names.
MX records should be added when you want to use your external mail servers to process your e-mail.
PTR Record: A domain name pointer should be used when you want to map a network interface (IP) to a host name.