IPAM provides two methods for creating subnets. The IPAM Subnet Allocation Wizard creates subnets within a designated supernet based on a desired subnet size.
For more information about the Subnet Allocation Wizard, see Using the Subnet Allocation Wizard.
The second method creates individual subnets within selected subnets, supernets, and groups, directly from the Manage Subnets and IP Addresses page, as shown in the following procedure.
To create a new network subnet:
- Click IP Address Manager in the Menu bar.
- Click Manage Subnets & IP Addresses.
- In the network tree pane on the left, click the network, group, or supernet into which you want to add your new subnet.
- Click Add > Subnet.
- Provide an appropriate Subnet Name for your new subnet. If you leave this field empty, IPAM automatically generates a name based on the Subnet Address and CIDR prefix length you provide.
- Provide a new Subnet Address and an appropriate CIDR prefix length for the new subnet.
IPAM instantly confirms the validity of provided Subnet Address and CIDR prefix length combinations. For more information about CIDR and subnet addressing, see Networking Concepts and Terminology.
- If you want to further identify your new subnet, provide a Description, VLAN ID, or Location for the new subnet.
- If you have defined custom fields for subnets, provide appropriate values. For more information about configuring custom fields in Orion IPAM, see Creating and Configuring Custom Fields.
- Use the slider to set the Scan Interval.
- If you do not want Orion IPAM to automatically scan your new subnet for changes, check Disable Automatic Scanning.
- Click Save when you have completed configuring your new subnet.
You can now drag and drop your new subnet into other groups and supernets, to organize your network.