This article describes how to troubleshoot System Crash (Stop Error) 0x7B, Inaccessible Boot Device errors on Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2 and when installing Neverfail Heartbeat on Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2 with different disks.
When Neverfail Heartbeat restarts following a restore on the Secondary (or Tertiary) server, the server stops with the following error message:
System Crash (Stop Error) 0x7B, Inaccessible Boot Device
This error occurs when the system disks on the Primary and the Secondary (or Tertiary) servers have different disk/RAID controllers.
To recover from the error, perform the following steps:
- Reinstall the operating system on the Secondary (or Tertiary) server.
- Run msinfo32.exe on both servers and:
a. Expand the Components node and the Storage node.
b. Select the IDE and\or SCSI node depending on the type of disk controllers in use.
c. Make a note of the disk controllers' names (for example, viaide.sys, intelide.sys, pciide.sys, or cercsr6.sys).
- On the Secondary (or Tertiary) server, navigate to Start > Run, enter Regedit.exe and click OK.
- Navigate to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\KeysNotToRestore.
- Create a Multi-String Value and assign a name (for example, Disks Controllers).
- Add all of the Primary server's disk controller's information in the Secondary (or Tertiary) exclusion multi-string value created using the following syntax:
- Enter each driver on a separate line as shown in the following example of the viaide.sys and intelide.sys drivers:
- Proceed to install FoE on the Secondary (or Tertiary) server using the default procedure.