This article provides steps to install and configure SQL Server Express for DPA repository.
Note: You can use the Express edition of Microsoft SQL Server 2008, 2012, or 2014 to host the repository database.
SQL Server 2008 Express (SQLExpress) can be used to hold the repository database for a DPA trial. Because SQLExpress has a 4 GB storage limitation, SolarWinds recommends that you do not use SQL Server Express long term.
I. - Download and install SQL Server Express
- Download the SQL Server 2008 Express edition. Select the SQL Server 2008 Express with Tools option.
- Install by following the steps in the setup wizard.
- During the setup, you are prompted for Account Provisioning.
- Select the Mixed Mode (Both Sql Server & Windows authentication) option.
- Enter a password for the SA account.
- Click Add Current User, and enter the Domain\Administrator for the computer.
- Create a database instance. You can accept the default name, or click Named to change the name.
- Note the database name to use later in DPA. Continue the setup wizard.
II. - Configure SQL Server Express
- From the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 program folder, click Configuration Tools > SQL Server Configuration Manager.
- Expand SQL Server Network Configuration" > Protocols for your instance.
- Under Protocol Name, right-click TCP/IP, and click Properties.
- Select Yes in the Enabled list.
- Click the IP Addresses tab.
- Select Yes for the Enabled value of each IP Address.
- Under IP1 and IP2, enter
1433 for the TCP Port. You can use another port number, but 1433 is the default port for SQL Server.
- Under IPALL, enter a different port, such as 1444. Note both port numbers to use later in DPA.
III. - Start the SQL Server service
- In the SQL Server Configuration Manager, open SQL Server Services.
- Right-click your SQL Server instance, and click Properties.
- Click Start.
- You may also want to start the SQL Server Browser. Start the SQL Server Browser to connect with both IPs using the 1433 port as well as going directly to the IPALL port of 1444. This is explained below in more detail.
IV. - DPA configuration
- Install DPA, and load the setup wizard in a browser.
- Select SQL Server as the repository database type.
- Enter the following connection information:
- Enter the SA credentials that you set up when you created the SQL Server Instance.
- If you enabled the SQL Server Browser service, enter the host\name if you named your instance, or host\SQLEXPRESS if you chose the default .
- Enter 1433 in the Port field.
- If the SQL Server Brower is not running, you must enter only the hostname in the Server field, and the IPALL port (1444 in this example) in the Port field.
- Click Next to continue.
- After the repository is created, you can monitor your other databases.