After you install DPA, you must create the repository database, which holds the performance data that DPA collects.
Use this procedure to create a SQL Server repository database.
To create a different type of database, see Create an Azure SQL repository database, Create a MySQL repository database, or Create an Oracle repository database in the DPA Administrator Guide.
Before you start
Before you run the Repository wizard:
- Make sure the repository database server meets the system requirements.
- Install a supported version of SQL Server on the database server.
- If you run the wizard from a different computer (not the server where DPA was installed), make sure the required firewall port is open. By default, port 8123 must be open.
- Make sure you have credentials to a login with SYSADMIN privileges for the SQL Server database instance.
Run the wizard
Open DPA by clicking the button on the installation confirmation dialog, or by entering one of the following URLs in a supported browser:
The Repository wizard opens automatically if the repository database has not been created.
- Click Create New Repository.
Complete the remaining wizard panels as described in the following table.
|Panel ||Instructions |
|Select Repository Database Instance Type ||Select Microsoft SQL Server as the database type. |
|Enter Repository Connection Information || |
Enter connection information for the SQL Server instance:
If the SQL Server browser service is running, enter the server name or IP address and the instance name in this format:
Otherwise, enter the server name or IP address and the port number.
- Select the type of authentication you want to use. If Mixed Mode was selected during the SQL Server installation, you can choose either option.
Enter a SYSADMIN login that DPA can use to create the repository.
DPA does not use or store these credentials after you complete the Repository Wizard.
|Enter Repository Login || |
DPA can create the repository administrator account, or you can specify an existing account. To ensure that the account has the required permissions, SolarWinds recommends creating a new account.
To create a new account:
- Click Yes.
- Select SQL Server as the authentication method. (DPA cannot create a new Windows account.)
- Enter a user name and password for the new account.
To specify an existing account:
- Click No.
- Select either authentication method.
Enter the user name and password of an existing account.
For Windows authentication, enter
<DOMAIN>\<username> in the Repository Login field.
|Specify Database for the Repository || |
Create a new database, or select an existing, empty database if one is available:
|Contact Information || |
Enter your name and email. SolarWinds DPA sends database performance reports to this address.
|Summary || |
Review the information and click Create Repository.
|Finished Repository Creation || |
After the repository has been created, click Register Database Instance to start registering instances, or close the wizard and register instances later.