You can deploy SolarWinds DPA in Amazon Web Services (AWS) from an Amazon Machine Image (AMI).
Differences between AWS and self-managed servers
Runs on default HTTP/HTTPS ports 80 and 443
You can access the SolarWinds DPA user interface on the standard HTTP port 80 and HTTPS port 443. The Windows Firewall settings have been set to allow inbound HTTP and HTTPS traffic.
Preconfigured administrator account: dpa
The password is the Amazon Instance ID of the server. You can find the Instance ID in your Amazon EC2 dashboard.
Launch a DPA instance in Amazon EC2
- Log in to AWS.
- Select the Amazon EC2 region in which you want to launch the instance. For example, US East (N. Virginia).
- Click EC2.
- Click Launch Instance.
- On the Choose an AMI page:
- Click the Community AMI tab.
SolarWinds DPA in the search field, and select the latest version.
- On the Choose an Instance Type page:
- Select an m3.medium instance type or larger. This table lists the recommended instance types:
|General Purpose ||Compute optimized ||Memory optimized |
|m3.medium ||c3.large ||r3.large |
|m3.large ||c3.xlarge || |
|m3.xlarge ||c3.2xlarge || |
|m3.2xlarge || || |
The m3.medium type is an economical choice and a logical instance type to start with. However, large deployments and managing active databases require the increased resources and optimizations available to the larger instance types. You can select the size you need right now and then resize to a larger instance type later.
- Click Next: Configure Instance Details.
- On the Configure Instance Details Type page:
If you have used Amazon EC2 before, you may have an Amazon Virtual Private Cloud (VPC) network and subnet set up. Your existing network and subnet are selected by default.
- Make sure you enable Auto-assign public IP so you can connect to SolarWinds DPA from your computer.
- Click Next: Add Storage.
- On the Add Storage page:
- You can configure additional storage beyond the default storage of 8 GB that the AMI provisions.
The Delete on Termination option is not selected by default. SolarWinds recommends leaving this option cleared and separately deleting the data volume after terminating an instance.
- Click Next: Tag Instance.
- On the Tag Instance page:
SolarWinds DPA in the Name tag to recognize your instance in Amazon EC2.
- Click Next: Configure Security Group.
- On the Configure Security Group page:
- Add rules that allow inbound access to the remote desktop (RDP), HTTP, and HTTPS ports.
|Type ||Protocol ||Port Range |
|HTTP ||TCP ||80 |
|HTTPS ||TCP ||443 |
|RDP ||TCP ||3389 |
- To restrict access to SolarWinds DPA to only your current IP address, change the Source rules to My IP. A Source set to Anywhere is less secure.
- T o restrict access to SolarWinds DPA to only people in your organization, select Custom IP for the Source and specify an IP range in classless inter-domain routing (CIDR) notation that matches the external IP addresses used in your organization.
- Click Review and Launch.
- On the Review Instance Launch page:
- Review your instance options.
- Click Launch.
- If there are key pairs, the Select an existing key pair dialog opens. If not, the Create a new key pair dialog opens instead.
- In the dialog box, secure your AMI instance with a public key pair.
- If you do not have a key pair:
- Select Create a new key pair.
- Enter a Key pair name.
- Click Download Key Pair.
- Store this file in a secure and accessible location.
- If you have a key pair:
- Select Choose an existing key pair.
- Select a secure and accessible key pair.
- Accept the acknowledgment.
- Click Launch Instances.
Log in to the AWS DPA server
- On the Amazon EC2 Instances page, locate:
- The public domain name system (DNS) or public IP address of your new DPA server
- The instance ID
- Go to the public DNS or IP address in a web browser.
- Log in as the
dpa user. The password is the Instance ID. For example, i-12345678.
- Select your time zone, and finish the configuration.